In honour of Cinco de Mayo on Tuesday I thought I would veganize some Margarita Cupcakes. It's no secret that I love tequila and there are few things I love more than a perfect on the rocks margarita. So why not combine two delicious things?? These cupcakes have tequila and lime throughout and are super easy to decorate with some lime wedges. Just grab some salt and you're ready to go!
Vegan Margarita Cupcakes
Yield 12 Recipe adapted from the Brown Eyed Baker
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 3 teaspoons of egg replacer mixed with 3 tablespoons of water
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 2 tablespoons of tequila
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 unsweetened non-diary milk (I used cashew) missed with 1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of tequila for brushing the cupcakes
Vegan Tequila Lime Frosting
- 1 cup vegan margarine, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon tequila
- Pinch of coarse salt
- 1 lime, ends removed, cut into 12 wedges for garnish.
- Preheat your oven to 325˙F. Line a standard muffin tin with plain paper liners and spray with non-stick spray (I used a coconut oil spray)
- In a bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients and set aside
- In a stand mixer beat the margarine on med-high for about 5 minutes until it lightens in colour
- Reduce the speed and add your egg replacer mixture
- Once those are combined, turn off your mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the lime zest and juice, extracts, and tequila. Mix until combined. The mixture will look a bit curdled at this point.
- Reduce your mixer down to low. You’re going to add the dry ingredients in 3 batches in alteration with the vegan buttermilk you made earlier. Mix until it’s almost combined. Use your rubber spatula to scrape down the sides again and give the mixture a final stir.
- Divide the batter amongst the muffin pan. The batter should go all the way to the top of the liners.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes. You can use a wooden skewer or toothpick to test the cupcakes for doneness. It should come out clean if they are.
- Let them cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Brush them with the tequila and then transfer to a cooling rack.
For the Frosting:
- In your stand mixer using your whisk attachment, whip the vegan margarine on high speed for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to low and slowly add the powdered sugar. Once combined, turn off the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the lime juice, tequila, and pinch of salt. Whip until smooth. The mixture should not be runny and thick enough to pipe.
- Pipe your frosting onto the cakes. Top each with a small lime wedge.
Enjoy Cinco de Mayo tomorrow! I'm going to consume tacos until I feel sick.